Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chalk it up

So ever since JDub ripped the wood paneling down in our kitchen I've been itching to redo the walls! We have this one tiny sliver of a wall; I thought might be cool to do something special.....

The gray area was covered with wood paneling.... there were too many different shades of "wood" going on with the new kitchen flooring and existing wood floor so it had to go anyway.

After a trip to Home Depot the lady convinced me I should try a magnetic/chalkboard wall... and get the best of both worlds... yea not so much. I hate to give bad reviews... but I did 4 (one more than the recommended 3) coats of the magnetic primer paint to find out that even the tiniest magnets would not cling to my wall! What a waste of hours of my time.... and $$ on that stupid paint. That paint was nasty too... kinda like Kilz.... it did not clean up well at all.

But at least the chalkboard top coat (2 coats applied) seems to be working great. You have to rub chalk all over the entire surface before being able to write. AND I had wait 3 DAYS  before being able to do that... try to tell that to an almost 4 year old dying to draw on the walls.... But all in all I'd say it was a success... its a mess! But at least chalk will wash out... for the most part I think....

I had picked these cute, hand-held chalkboards at a garage sale a while back... but they had lost their ability for chalk to write on it so I refinished it with the chalkboard paint and they are "good as new". I hated to cover up the alphabet letters and numbers....

I figure after the initial newness of the wall wears off I might be able to use it for reminders.... or cute messages... who knows... I might have to change to white chalk though! We have quite a rainbow going on right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)