Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rainbow shirt with scraps

Tomorrow is my niece's birthday!!! She is getting sooo big and walking too! My sister said she wanted a "rainbows and butterflies" birthday for her. I'm planning on having a post later with all the yummy details of the party decor... but for now I thought I'd show you the present I made for her!

This is what the shirt looked like before.......

I believe there's a little bit of chocolate milk and a whole lot of spaghetti sauce going on... its a size 2T-3T Boys Hanes t-shirt. I took my handy-dandy bottle of RIT Dye in Fuchsia and.........
While I was hoping the dye would take care of everything.... you could still see the grease stains!!



But its all good...... because I knew I was going to cover the shirt anyway. I went to my bag-o-scraps and found these lovely ladies.

I cut some thin strips and did a line of shirring down the middle of each. I should have used the same color thread for each one... but I was being a little lazy (not wanting to change the thread in and out over and over). Here's what the purple strip looked like after shirring.

I did have to use a little fray check on a few of the fabrics..... and after a little arranging and more sewing....
Some of my strips of fabric were shorter than others.... so I decided to add a little more detail.
I also did a little shirring in the back... since it is a 2T and my niece is only turning 1... but I figured it could be cute with some leggings or something... I like over-sized shirts!



I hope she likes it!!! :)

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)