Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sock Bun

Surprise, surprise... I found this on Pinterest! :) Ever since I saw it I've been wanting to grow my hair out! Well I tried it awhile back and was not very successful... but then I figured out the secret! (If you have thin, fine hair like I do anyway....)

So here's the deal... you take a sock... I happened to use thin, spandex-like one that I rarely wear anymore... ya know the kind of fancy socks you wear with suits? I figured it would work best cause it's not really shaped like a sock... but just straight. And it kind of resembles my hair color too.....

Then I clipped off the toe part with some scissors. No need to be a perfectionist...

Now I've seen other videos where people just take it from this step and roll it up to look like this...

Well I tried that on my hair and it would NOT stay... it was too loose and looked weird. So then I got the idea to make into a smaller donut... b/c well I don't have a ton of hair, and its thin as well.

Here's what I did... take the sock, turn it inside out and take it to the sewing machine

Do a straight stitch all the way from the "top" of the sock to the bottom". (you can see the white thread below)

Then take your scissors and cut along the edge to remove the excess fabric.

I've learned throughout my sewing that it's a good idea to kind of "reinforce" where you have sewn. So now instead of just leaving the seams, I've been taking it back to the sewing machine and using a zig-zag stitch to kind of "lock it in". I set my machine to #2 and did it along the edge right beside where I had sewn the straight stitch.

Then you roll it up tight like a little donut!

Here's the end result...

Now you could make it even smaller if you wanted to... but this size seems to work nicely for me :)

Here's what it looks like once you get it wrapped around your hair! You slip in on like a scrunchie and kind of make the ends of your hair wrap around it and tuck underneath. You'll keep the donut at the end of your locks. Then you keep pulling the donut up and rolling it down... its kind of hard to explain... There's great video link here...sock bun video link and it really does help if your hair is a little damp.

Here's my sock bun!!

I kinda feel like a mix between a librarian... and a ballet dancer! And yea I know my kitchen is a disaster... don't remind me... I think the higher the bun the cuter it is... but my hair isn't quite long enough for that yet.


And here's the best part yet... if you wear your hair around like that all day and night... (which I did) then the next day your hair will look like this when you take it out!
My hair never holds curls... NEVER. I still think they would look alot better if I had longer hair... but it adds some nice body to it either way!

It definately takes some practice to get the bun looking just right... but then it works great!

1 comment:

  1. I kid you not, I was thinking about the sock bun today. Without even seeing it on pinterest recently! I guess I must have just KNOWN you'd written this... even though I didn't know you'd written it. Ya know? You look super cute dressed up in the jeans and cardigan!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)