Thursday, January 19, 2012

Leftovers Change Up

I am not a huge fan of leftovers.... but then again they do come in handy when you don't really feel like making the effort to prepare yet another meal... I think one of my most hated phrases I hear throughout the week is "what's for dinner?!" Sometimes I really look forward to leftovers! Like my lasagna for example... mmmm making a lasagna can be kind of a daunting task. That's usually why I make 2... one for dinner that night and then I freeze the other one for later use. But I never get sick of leftover lasagna :) I also enjoy my chicken enchiladas leftover. Its almost like they taste even better the next day!

One of my favorite leftovers is chili :) I like to make a big pot of chili for dinner; which is what I did last night! It's perfect when its cold outside too. Even Ceej was eating it up (Bubba on the other hand is just about the pickiest child in the world... he wouldn't have anything to do with it). Then this afternoon for lunch we had chili dogs!!!!

It's pretty much become a staple now... whenever I make chili.. .we have chili dogs the next day :) Fine by me!!! I love a good chili dog! Then you don't get as bored with just another bowl of chili. (and what child doesn't eat a hot-dog?!)

Another leftover that you can do a little differently is meatloaf. Whenever I make a meatloaf there is always a huge chunk left. And while its good the first time around... I usually don't have mashed potatoes to eat with it the next time. Its just the hunk of meat. Now if you're anything like JDub (a man) he would just eat the whole hunk of meat and be done. But I like to change it up a little bit. I like some variety. So I have a meatloaf sandwich!

I think I googled leftover meatloaf one time and came across this... and boy is it worth it!! You just take a nice slice of meatloaf, top it with a slice of cheese and nuke it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. (I like just the average slice of american cheese myself) You don't want it piping hot, just enough to melt the cheese a little bit. Then slap it between 2 slices of bread and you are good to go! I know it might sound a little strange... but really... ITS GOOD!!

So I'm wondering... do you have any leftover change ups you always use?! I can always use new ideas for cooking :)

1 comment:

  1. Chili dogs and meatloaf sandwiches...staples of my growing up years. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)