Friday, January 13, 2012

"Grandkids" shelf/display

So I came up with this project after viewing this photo on Pinterest....
Initially I went to Stuff Etc (a local consignment store) to find a wooden plaque to paint.... well no luck finding a plaque... but I did find this blue shelf!

It had some remnants of a sticker on there so that wet area is actually goof off doing its job!

I forgot to take pics of this part but it's pretty simple... I just painted the shelf black (thanks for the extra paint Mom!) I probably did 3 coats....

Once the paint was dry I measured and printed off the word "Grandkids"...... kept it in place with a sticky note and traced over the letters with a ballpoint pen! (I learned that little trick from Pinterest as well... )

Once you've traced over all the letters, remove the paper, and paint inside the grooves! I wish I would have pressed down a little harder..... They said the indentions should act as a dam to keep the paint in... but it still took a lot of patience! Its not perfect... but it is homemade :)
Then I had JDub use some flexible wire and a staple gun to make a line to hang my cute little clothespins!
No these aren't pictures of grandkids... the one on the left is Mango after a bath! And the one on the right was Jessie, my kitty growing up (she's no longer alive :( ) I figured you'd want to see how it looks with some photos.

Anywho, this was a present for my in-laws. I figured they could put it on their wall and display photos of their grandsons along the bottom and have the shelf to display any framed photos they might have as well!

I want to monogram other wooden things now?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)