Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stained onesie + pink dye = FANTASTIC!!

So a while back I told my sis I wanted to make a lil something for my niece to wear! Seeing as I'm surrounded by boys..... I thought it would be fun to change it up and make something cute for a little girl! My niece is coming up on 9 months already! Man time flies.... So I asked her for a onesie I could dye and cut up and make into something else.

First I took the stained onesie and dyed it with some Fuchsia RIT dye. Last time I dyed I did it in my washing machine... but since then we've gotten a front-loader so that wasn't going to work this time around.... And seeing as I was just dyeing a small onesie, and not 4 big panels of curtains, I just used an old gallon ice cream bucket instead. You have to make sure your onesie is completely wet...... mix the dye and warm/hot water in the bucket first, and then add the wet onesie to the bucket. Now the directions say to stir constantly for 30- 60 min... but yea that doesn't fly with me being at home watching 2 boys... so I periodically went to my utility sink and stirred when I got the chance while the boys watched Sesame Street....

I do have to say the dye job was PERFECT!!! No blotches... and the thread stayed white so that really make the color pop! Once I was done with the dyeing and washing and drying afterward.... I decided to use my scrap material leftover from my brown crushed velvet dress :)


Well...... she gave me a 6-9 month onesie... but Gerber brand runs a lil small.... so it just fits her! At least I got to see her in it for a little while though! She looked adorable :)



Can you believe all that hair at 9 months?... Jeez my boys were bald til well over a year..... All she needs is some tights and some brown boots and she'd be styling :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)