Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Retaining wall of death

Ugh. This retaining wall project is taking FOREVER!! I have to say we had some wonderful burly men come over to our house last Thursday and help tear down the old wall :) I can't thank them enough for helping us do something in a few hours as opposed to days if it would have been just us!

The deteriorating retaining wall before.......
 It was literally falling into our neighbors yard...


We had about 8 guys working to rip the old out. Some of those posts were buried so far under I thought we'd never get them out!
These pics were taken on Thursday....... all these guys had worked 8 hours at their regular jobs... and then another 3 working their butts off hauling these old railroad ties into trucks (or in our driveway... we still have a nice pile that needs to go to the dump! Keep in mind those things weight about 80 lbs when they're not rotted out.... so some of them were a little bit lighter :)
Friday JDub and his dad emptied their trucks at the dump and made some more runs to Menards for supplies...

Then came Saturday.... after digging "trenches".... we started to lay the brick. My parents came over that morning. My mom stayed inside with the boys so I could help with my dad and JDub. It was a slow process at first getting everything level... but we worked as a team! I was the runner most of the time... carrying the bricks over.. shoveling rock into buckets to be dumped behind the wall... getting more sand... I was pretty sore by the end of all of it
After my parents left around dinner time..... the in-laws came over again to help. While JDub was waiting for them I took the opportunity to hack at the wall of dirt to make room for the new retaining wall. He felt the need to document this with photos! I can be a hard worker too ya know......



I'd also like you to keep in mind we did NOT have a wheel-barrow..... ugh... that really would have been nice. We didn't really have a nice path to take one if we did... but filling, lifting and then dumping buckets of dirt is hard on your back! And arms for that matter... lifting Ceej and Bubba after doing that all day was really hard!

Needless to say my manicure didn't make it... and I acquired some bruises along the way too.....


there's a birthmark there and a bruise above... i know it is hard to see but its there!!

Did I mention my fence is being held up by straps linked to poles and the garage?!






Then of course it rained ALL DAY on Monday so we have yet to finish it up... It's kind of a teaser b/c its not quite done..... but hey we are closer.. Anyone want to watch my kids so I can get it done faster?! haha j/k... thanks to all who helped so far. Who think's well get it done before October?...... Here's hoping!!

2 comments:

  1. It looks great. Too bad it's in your backyard behind the fence where you won't be able to gaze upon it and marvel at your work! lmh

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)