Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tending to my garden

So I spent a good hour or so in my back yard "tending to my garden" yesterday....... This wasn't your fun picking out ripe tomatoes or cucumbers... no... this was picking weeds... I wish I would have taken a before picture... but instead I will show you the after... and the Yardie full of weeds.....


i know it still looks ugly... but you should have seen it with the weeds in there....



















I couldn't help but think about how if I would have just checked on it periodically... instead of letting it get out of hand... how maybe it would not have taken so long to clean up. How I could have spent that time playing with my kids while they were "swimming" in the kiddie pool instead of pulling weeds... I mean if you can even call some of those weeds (they were like 4 foot tall in places!!)

It's weird how there are soo many different weeds too. Ones with little flowers, some are spiny and furry. Some are pretty easy to pull out by the root, while others take a lot of time and effort to get them out just right. Then I got to thinking about how I had my own little "weeds" growing in my life that I needed to nip in the butt. Little weeds called "laziness" "fatigue" "boredom" "selfishness"........ etc. You name it, they are there. Some days I get up and I'm motivated and I pull those "laziness" weeds right out!! I mop the floors, do some laundry, bake a cake.. ok maybe not that last one, but still. But then there are days that go by and I think oh I'll just take a nap.... oh kids let's just watch a little TV so I can just sit on my butt... and it gets harder and harder that weed growing taller and taller....


It got me thinking about why God even made weeds?! But then I thought everything needs a little "tending to". You can't just go through life easy peasey w/o a little TLC in areas. You can't claim to live a christian life if you're not going to stop and spend some time with Jesus. You can't expect just b/c its the backside of your house and you have a fenced in yard that its "out of sight and out of mind"....... it doesn't work that way. You'll eventually have to go back and check on it and tend to the garden... even if it is a rock garden...

It's like the Parable of the Sower in a way....... (The entire parable is at the bottom)....sometimes I feel like I'm one of the believers among the weeds...... Luke 8:14 "The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches, and pleasures, and they do not mature."

This week I'm going to strive to keep on top of things and be a seed among the good soil :)
Luke 8:15 "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

The Parable of the Sower
Luke 8:4-15
4While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: 5"A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown."
When he said this, he called out "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,

"'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

11"This is the meaning of the parable; The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15But the seed on good soil stands for those with noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)