Saturday, July 9, 2011

Old navy tank--Take 2!

I am soo pumped about this refashion! I got to use that awesome shirring technique again :)

As you might recall I had 3 old navy tank tops... well honestly I have waaay more than 3..... but in this case I am referring to 3 identical tanks and my gray one was already re-done. So I could have sworn I took a before photo.... but I cannot find it!! And I'm getting sleepy so here it is in gray... just pretend its blue please!
First I turned the shirt inside out, cut the straps, criss-crossed them, pinned and sewed!
Then I turned my shirt right-side-out and used some chalk to make some lines. I just drew 2 lines, an inch apart.

Then got my handy elastic thread, hand-wound it onto the bobbin and put it into the machine. Then I threaded the machine with navy blue thread and set the tension to the highest setting (a 9 on my machine), and to the longest stitch as well...

Then I got to sewing! I did the line closest to the edge of the shirt first, and make sure you have the shirt turned the right side out... you want the blue thread to be on the outside and the elastic thread to be on the inside of the shirt. Once that row was complete, I did another row in the middle of my 2 chalk lines... and then a third row on the other chalk line! The shirt starts to bunch up a little, but you can just stretch it out while sewing so you don't have any lumps.

Here's the fun part about this shirt.......... you can wear it 2 different ways?! Here's the first.......

Excuse my cheesy/bad photos... JDub fell asleep at 8:45.... yes that's right! 8:45... on a Saturday night... I had to prop my camera up on the table and do the 10 second timer thing so get them! I guess it's all good b/c I got to work on this :)

And here's the 2nd way


OMG I love shirring!!! It's great for shirts that are a little baggy... it makes it take shape instead of looking so bleh. OK off to bed... I am tired :) Hope you all got to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather we had today! JDub enjoyed it too much and is burnt to a crisp!! I wore sunscreen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)