Tuesday, July 12, 2011

baseball t-shirt

I love men's baseball t-shirts. JDub has one and he looks too cute in it! That's why when I saw the cute "Little cyclone" one at a garage sale a couple years back I just had to buy it! You'll see along with that shirt I have a couple other t-shirts in the background...

Well these shirts are shirts I don't really wear anymore. The cute puppy one has yucky pit-stains... and the red one is too large.. So I thought I'd try to make my own baseball t-shirt for the boys to wear!

First thing was seam-ripping the collar off the red shirt...


Then I set the "little cyclone" shirt on top of the dog shirt, lined up the writing as best I could, and traced and cut it out. I did both the front and the back at the same time :)


Then it came time for the sleeves. First I again laid the "little cyclone" shirt on top of the red one. I don't like having to do hems... I have issues, so instead of having to do more sewing than necessary, I laid it along the side of the shirt and had the bottom hem turn into the ends of the sleeves... after I traced the one I flipped it and did it along the other side of the red shirt too.










Then it came time to attach everything! I first did a sleeve and part of the collar. I had to spread the collar open and put the other pieces inside it to attach everything. Most collars have the edges nicely tucked and sewed down.... but I have no idea how to do that! So I just let the ends hang out and sewed over top of it to keep it in place. Then attached the other sleeves to each side... and the collar all the way around.









Then I flipped the whole thing inside out, and pinned down the sleeves and sides to stitch....


And here's the final product! I had Bubba try it on to see how it looked. I kept the collar a little bigger b/c my kids have huge melons :) I always seem to have issues with the collar being too tight....  Sorry for the blurriness! But I think its a success!

I'd still like to do a hem along the bottom..... but I'm a little scared to?! Maybe if I get up the nerve I'll try it later. For now Bubba really likes the shirt I made for him and he's not taking it off! LOL. For not having a pattern I think it turned out pretty cute :)

3 comments:

  1. That looks great!

    Wait a minute....didn't I give you that red PBR shirt??????

    -FLH

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww snap! BUSTED, you did give it to me! haha... but hey it had pit stains as well... doesn't it look cuter now?! and I even used more of it to make Ceej a shirt too! I was going to post it but my usb drives aren't working on here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both shirts look great, much better use for the original shirt.

    Plus I got that shirt for free anyway.

    SNAP!!!

    :P

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)