Saturday, June 11, 2011

Coffee pillow

So I have been working on this pillow FOREVER.... it is going to be the death of me...

First I took some extra fabric I had and made a pillowcase! I just put the "right" sides together and sewed around three edges leaving one edge open. I was going to put buttonholes on the one side and have buttons on the other to close the pillow up.... but making the buttonholes on my machine just was NOT working out. It was probably some error I was making myself... but I tried 4 times and gave up.

Then I decided I would go with snaps! I saw them at Hancock Fabrics and figured I'd go for it... But once again... I had issues! I bought these kind...

You attach these with a simple spool and hammer... but apparently I cannot line things up correctly... and they did not work... they came off when I tried to unsnap them :( So going the cheap route didn't help me out.. it was just a waste of $...

With my third attempt I decided to try this type of tool....
You just need a hammer to use this. And the black part helps everything stay aligned... The woman working at Hancock Fabrics said she's used this in the past and had no issues... 

I made sure that the 4th flap on the pillowcase had extra fabric b/c initially I was going to fold it over for the buttons... but I'm glad I had extra b/c the heavy duty snaps aren't for flimsy fabric. I was hoping the lightweight fabric folded over twice would be ok! I also had to buy some heavy duty snaps to use...

First you have to cut a hole in the fabric for the snaps to fit through.... Here's JDub helping me!! But I'd say fabric scissors worked better than a knife....
Then you line up the snaps on top of the black thing inside the Heavy Duty tool kit. Put the little metal spindle thing on top and hammer away! The black thing did keeps thing lined up while you were hammering :)

 The end result will look something like this!!

And then repeat... These snaps happened to be for reversible fabric as well so you could have nice shiny caps on both sides if you wanted...

And here she is!!!




Oh yea and I made a little design with some white fabric paint!!! You know how I love my coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)