Thursday, May 19, 2011

High waters? Make them short...er!

So I've had these pair of pants since college. I think I might have shrunk them in the wash at some point... but they are super comfy! And they have sentimental value b/c my roomies from college gave them to me at my bachelorette party! I usually only wear them around the house anyway... but with the warm weather here (well coming and going anyway... its not always here to stay!) I thought I'd make them short for more use. This way I wont look like such a dork in my high waters!

Here I am back in the good ol days of college! Gotta love bachelorette parties :)

Here's a pic of what they looked like before...

They had this nice light pink fringe going on the bottom, and at first I thought I'd just seam-rip it off and re-attach it once I shortened the pants. But there was soooo much thread on there I decided to just cut them off and make a new hem.

Once that was figured out I took them to the sewing machine. I didn't have any pink thread, so I just went with white.

I keep seeing girls wearing sweat pant capri's where they have elastic on the bottom so I wanted to mimic that. I made sure to leave an opening to insert some elastic. I've been trying to clean out some old clothes and found some old undies with elastic tie closures on the sides. The elastic was still decent so I just cut them off and used that! Talk about recycling?!

I took a safety pin on one end of the elastic and pushed it through til both ends were showing. Then I hand sewed the ends of the elastic together; took the pants to the sewing machine again and finished closing the openings!

And here they are!!

I think they turned out pretty good myself :) It's a little chilly to wear them today. Hopefully we'll get another sunny day here soon and I'll get to show them off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! I have to come back and look around your blog more later...

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)