Friday, May 27, 2011

Banana chocolate and butterscotch chip muffins

I've been broadening my cooking horizons lately... or at least attempting too. My boys use to go bananas for bananas... but lately they've been turning brown before we can get them eaten. That's when I thought of trying to make some banana bread! I figured muffins might be a better route... that way I can just grab one and let the boys go to town. I got a little ambitious and started kinda late last night... This was the clock by the time I put the second batch of muffins in...


I ended up freezing the bananas whole, in the peel and everything, once I decided to try banana bread. I just put them in a Ziploc baggie and added another banana here and there until I was ready! After I decided it was banana bread time I let them sit out on the counter, in the baggie and thaw out. It probably took about an hr or so... then I just used my kitchen sheers, hacked off and end and squeezed out the mushy goodness.

I researched online for a while to try and find the right recipe. I find that if I come up with something on my own its not always good... but I try to find recipes that have good ratings... and I came upon this one. The Steamy Kitchen recipe

I, like most of those other people that leave reviews, tweaked it a little bit... but not by much. Here it is..

Banana Chocolate and Butterscotch chip Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 4 bananas)
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in one bowl
2. In a different bowl add softened butter, brown sugar, eggs, and mashed bananas, and stir!

Add bowl #2 to bowl #1 and stir in butterscotch and chocolate chips. Make sure to coat your muffin tin with non-stick spray. Or use liners if you prefer.
I used my handy dandy large scoop from the Pampered Chef to fill my muffin tins. It was the perfect size and so much faster than dipping them by hand with a spatula or spoon. I used a large muffin tin, not a mini-tin.
I baked my muffins for roughly 25-30 minutes until I inserted a toothpick and only a little bit of chocolate from the chips came off! Let the muffins cool in the tin for a few minutes and then move to a bakers rack for the rest. This recipe yielded 20 muffins! And I stored them in a plastic container with the lid slightly vented.



They are so moist and the kids LOVED them :). You can still taste the banana too! Not too shabby for my first try :) I know these photos don't do them justice... if I have a nice camera or knew how to light the area right they'd look a lot better.

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious - good job. lmh

    ReplyDelete
  2. try making smoothies with those bananas before they go bad too! Some orange juice, apple juice, bananas and strawberries, peaches whatever you've got with a little pineapple sherbet. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)