Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dye Job

Ok so I've been following http://www.newdressaday.com/ for a while. She just has such talent! I've seen where she just dyes things all the time too... I guess I never thought of dying anything really... but since curtains are expensive... And I got my new duvet and pillow shams... I felt I needed a change! Oh yes and of course because I got my new curtain rods at IKEA as well :)

The curtains before are on the left... just a khaki color... and the finished product is on the right.



I used Rit Dye in Pearl Gray. Two of the dry packets. I had a hard time finding it initially........ for some reason I was thinking Hy-Vee carried dye... but could not find it for the life of me. Then Wal-Mart didn't even have gray! (They had every other color imaginable though...) Thank goodness for Hancock Fabrics!!

I ended up dyeing all 4 panels of curtains in my washing machine... that thing is ancient anyway so I really wasn't concerned about it breaking or dyeing the inside of the machine. We are actually just waiting for it to break down b/c it sounds like its going to take off if the load is too full..... It didn't damage the machine whatsoever.


I'm a little indifferent about the final result... I mean I do like the new curtain rods! The silver is much better than the gold and it looks alot cleaner in there. I ended up turning the curtains upside down b/c these rods had little hooks instead of lifting off to add the curtains to. I just feel like they should have been darker... Perhaps I should have used 3 dry packets instead of just 2? There was alot of fabric there... It dyed evenly though!

What do you think?

P.S. Mango just loves the new duvet :)

4 comments:

  1. I like it! But, you should cut out some white fabric in a pattern like the duvet and sew it onto the curtains. Or stencil it on. that would look cool!

    -flh

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya know mom said that too! lol gmta :) I'm almost thinking painting might be easier than trying to glue on fabric... We'll see if I feel like getting more creative one day... thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if Mango likes it...it's good to go! :0

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)