Sunday, January 9, 2011

New house

So I like our house... I do... but with any house there comes lots of issues and something that always needs to be fixed! Back when JDub and I were first looking for a house I did not like our house at all! I can't really remember why... I think I was one of those people that looks at all the decor, instead of the house itself. I mean this place was hideous! It's definitely better now. We have done sooo much to this place.. We've almost painted every room, refinished the hard-wood floors (professionally of course, if you need a number let me know cause that guy was amazing!!!), JDub installed new interior doors (9 doors upstairs alone!) and new trim in most of the house. As far as the outside goes, it doesn't seem like we did a lot of work but we really have. Maybe I'll post some photos of that later.... We'll stay inside for now.

Here are some before and after photos, most before photos are on the left and the after are on the right!

The hard wood floors... they had horrible stains... I never thought they'd look good but we still get compliments years later on how nice they look. We had to remove all the baseboards throughout the house and closets. It was a pain but well worth it :)

The hallway.......




















Our basement. It was partially finished... but had concrete floors. We had to rip down some ugly borders here and there... and take down a ton of shelving.... we carpeted, but later had to rip some of that out b/c little Mango decided to pee on it!!


 
 We painted of course... and used the same baseboards down here. Its amazing what a little bit of paint can do to a room!

Here's our living room upstairs..... The pale blue paint was shiny and gross! And don't even get me started on vertical blinds......


I love love LOVE our paint in the living room now. JDub still claims he doesn't like it... and sometimes people think its a bit much. But I don't care. It's my favorite room of the house!






I'll spare you every room... but here's the bathroom we just finished up! Well... not completely finished up... I really want to paint that hideous window white... and we still need to do the trim. By "we" I mean JDub!! I know I've said this before... but he is VERY handy!! Its great having a husband who knows how to use his power tools :)

Now you would think with this being such a small bathroom it wouldn't take that long to re-do it... Well when people don't use the right kind of paint for a high-moisture area... you have to scrape all the paint off. Not just pieces already chipping. And then when you scrape off all the paint, you're also scraping off all the texture!
So not only did it take FOREVER to strip the wall of all the paint, we had to re texture the walls after, and then paint..... All I can say is Ke$ha on my mp3 player got me through this project.....No doubt!

This is partially scraped off paint... the left is off and the
white is what we still needed to scrape off. And there's also
a nice glimpse of the old light fixture!

 


I am very pleased with the way it turned out. We have a nice double hook by the shower to hang our towels just when we need them after showering. The double towel rack above the toilet should work well too. What do you think?!

Side Note:
Now I hate to want to move into a new house since I'm just now liking the one I have now.... but man I want my own bathroom! Every woman who is outnumbered in her home should really have her own bathroom.. When we were looking for a house I said it needed to have 2 toilets... and JDub said a 2-stall garage... well our next one needs to have a Master Bath... Sharing a bathroom with 3 boys is a scary thought!

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)