1. DETANGLE. I've always done this.. but they say its best to brush your hair before you wash. That's just a no brainer for me... but maybe some of you out there skip that step! I lose enough hair in the shower as is...
2. LESS IS MORE. Now I've been using a minimal amount of shampoo and body wash for a while now. I guess It could be my cheapness or something! But a quarter size blob is what they recommend (double for long hair).
3. LATHER. Use the pads of your fingers (not nails) to knead the scalp! As far as shampoo goes, it can be very drying... probably because of its cleansing agents or whatever... but they say to skip applying it to the ends of your hair. Which makes sense... I mean that is the driest part of my hair!
4. CONDITION. Apparently conditioner is a must for all types of hair.. and they say you should AVOID your scalp!? Who knew? You should start to condition with the ends and stop 3/4 of the way up. (Otherwise you'll have greasy roots... duh no wonder my hair was so greasy the next day!)
5. SOAK. Now you should comb conditioner through to coat every strand and leave on for 5 minutes. They suggest turning the water off for this time to save on water! But yea right... who's really going to stand naked in a shower w/o water running? I don't think so! I try to wash and condition first that way the rest of my shower the conditioner has the longest time to soak in!
6. RINSE. Of course this sounds like a no-brainer... but they say you should also use your fingers to separate the hair while rinsing. They also said its best to rinse in cool water to seal the cuticle... but most of the time I'm taking a nice hot shower to get warm.... I might do this in the summer when its hot... but not during Iowa winters!
So anyway... I thought it was interesting... and I think it couldn't hurt your hair anyway!!