Thursday, October 28, 2010

DIY Halloween Costumes....

So as long as I can remember I've pretty much always made my own Halloween costumes..... mostly b/c they didn't have that many options when I was younger..... and nowadays it seems like everything has to be "naughty" a.k.a. slutty.... No thanks! I remember growing up one of my favorite costumes was when I was Pippi Longstocking! I don't remember the exact outfit... it was overall-shorts of some sort and different colored socks.... plaid shirt under it... but I remember getting a wire hanger and cutting it and sticking it in my little pig-tails to have them stick out! That's one good thing about already having red hair... you don't have to wear a wig!
One time in college I was Avril Lavigne too! I thought it was pretty good... and several people could tell who I was (I did carry around a blow-up microphone for a hint!) I've been Ginger from Gilligan's Island too! (Once again the red hair really came in handy :) ) If I ever have my own Halloween party I'd love to try Jessica Rabbit... I don't know if I could pull off making my own dress like hers though....... and that might be a little too "naughty" for me......

Last year I made a Candy-Corn costume for Bubba. I thought it turned out very cute! I had alot of fun picking out the material and figuring it all out too. This year I came up with a Banana costume for him! I just took an over-sized yellow sweatshirt... seam ripped the armpits to make holes for his arms to go through... safety-pinned the arms together in back to look like the peel..... put black electrical tape on the end and took a white hood I kept from my quilt project and put that underneath! I'll post pics on facebook... I think its pretty cute... but then I saw a commercial.......

Have you seen the Target commercial where the mom is making her son an Iron Man costume? Honestly I saw it for the first time and that "Wow that's good!" and then the light thing falls off and they show you a costume for $20 you can buy. I was a little disappointed... I guess its a good thing my kids are so young and they don't know the difference between "good" costumes and home-made ones... right now Bubba is getting a kick out of running around in his little banana costume! He could care less if I made it myself... I know that day where he wants to buy one from the store is just around the corner (sniff..... *tear*). Baby's going to be a monkey! That costume I acquired from a nice co-worker of JDub's! So I didn't have to whip one up or buy one which was nice :)

Side note............
Baby is getting sooo big... I feel like I have to come up with a new nickname. He won't be a Baby much longer!! So... without further ado..... I will call him Ceej! (Thanks sis)

1 comment:

  1. I loved the banana! Very cute!

    I got baby G's costume for next year at Target, though. Everything is 75% off right now. So I got a $20 costume for $5. It is a super cute garden gnome. I figure I only have one more year until he makes up his own mind what he wants to be.

    I should post that on my FF blog, right?
    -FHG

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)