Monday, August 30, 2010

All about Bubba

I CANNOT believe my little guy, Bubba, is 2. It is just INSANE to me! Time really flies. It seems like just yesterday I was watching him roll over for the first time... but now he's a big boy! He's been using the potty everyday (sometimes w/o accidents). For the most part he feeds himself... and picks out his clothes for the day. He lets me know when he's hungry and what he wants to eat (most of the time is CANDY he's screaming for...) He's a good boy too.

When I asked what he wanted for his birthday he replied "Thomas GAMOONS..." aka balloons with Thomas the Tank Engine on them. So I decided to have a little Thomas party for his 2nd birthday. We acquired a small ball pit from a friend, JDub blew up water balloons, and we had our slide in the back too. Everything was a hit! His guests enjoyed the ball pit too... and a few people got wet but it was all good. He was a good boy; sharing everything up until the end when it came close to bed-time. He made sure to say "tank you" to everyone... even before he opened their presents sometimes!

And the most amazing thing yet?! The hours upon hours of watching "Elmo Potty Time" has finally paid off!!! Bubba had been enjoying running around the house naked... and doing the naked dance (don't worry we caught that one on video for blackmail... I mean enjoyment later ). Sure he had a few accidents while naked... its to be expected. But after purchasing Elmo big-kid-underpants he wanted to wear them! So the day before his 2nd birthday.... he demanded to wear Elmo. We woke up that morning and put them on. I made sure to tell him that Elmo doesn't like it when you pee or poop in him... so if he had to go he needed to tell Mommy and we could hurry to the potty.

Well I think we went through all 7 pair that came in that pack the first day! But that's ok. He freaked the first time he started peeing in them. He cried and cried... he was upset b/c he didn't want Elmo to be mad that he peed on him! But I assured him that Elmo would forgive him... and just like on the video... Elmo and Grover said "accidents happen... and its ok..." He does wondefully with me when it comes to going to the potty. He'll even tell me when he has to go sometimes! Most of the time I see him grabbing himself and ask if he needs to go and then we go even if he doesn't feel like it. He's getting better at going with JDub too so that's nice. I just hope he can get the hang of it and get help from other relatives... He manages to stay dry during naps... but we still have him in pull-ups at night (sometimes they're dry... and then some days they're wet). But all in all it is a wonderful thing! As much as watching "Elmo Potty Time" drove me crazy... I think it really did help. I can remind him about the things they teach in the video... like using toilet paper (but only a little bit), flushing, washing your hands... etc. I know I'm still spending alot of time in the bathroom these days... but at least 7/10 times he actually does go!!

We had his 2 year checkup last week. The doctor was a little shocked when I told her we'd been using the potty... She thought it was a bit early for a boy. But honestly he was showing the signs... wanting to use the potty.... telling me he needed a new diaper... staying dry during nap-time and even some nights.... and wanting to wear underwear. And I'm glad I did it. Since we spend most of our days at home we haven't really had too many accidents... I am getting more worried about when MOPS starts back up, and being in nursery at church... but time will tell. I know it's not the end of the world if he does have an accident... But I really am proud of him. (And myself for being patient...)

The next step is to get him to use his own potty... I just bought a Baby Bjorn potty chair (so I dont have to worry about him falling off our toilet and getting hurt... its happened...). So lets hope he wants to use that and then he'll be able to sit on it himself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)