Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas is over ?! :)

I enjoy the holidays..... really I do. But after this holiday I'm a little happy, sad... and relieved! I managed to finish my Christmas presents... most of them on time... others should be getting mailed out today! Now hopefully I can tell you all about them!

I wanted to be crafty this year and make most of my gifts. I was watching Martha Stewart one day and came across these pet sillouette bags! I try my best to use the "green" reusable bags, so I thought why not make my family some bags! They're cute b/c they have their pets on them, and its green too. Now my husband is a bit morbid... so after I'm buying all the materials and getting to actually making the bags he says "what are you going to do when the pets die?" Well I hope they were beloved pets and you'd still like to remember them even after their gone. But anyway here's how some of them turned out!







Now as you can see.... some bags were a little more detailed than others. Depending on what color the animal was. Charlie, the cat up top, was all black so his was fairly easy to make. Now Boomer in the middle... he was a little more detailed with the white patches of fur and it took some finessing to get it the way I wanted. But all in all it was a fun project! I requested photos of the pets, had them printed off at Copyworks, cut them out, and then traced them on the fabric and cut those out as well. I used suede fabric to kind of mimic fur. Once I had the basic outline of the pet in the most prominent color of fur, I then cut out the more detailed portions and glued the contrasting color of fabric on top!

Along with my bags I also made magnets. I used a heavy duty magnet and adhesive along with those glass beads that are flat on one side and rounded on the other. I cut out various designs or words from magazines or ads. Here's what those turned out like....


I figured you can never have enough magnets for your fridge, and well they're pretty cute too. I made several Iowa State ones for my husband! I like smaller magnets that don't cover your entire fridge too. I have to keep these up high so my lil guy doesn't try to eat them though!

Finally the last present I included were the chocolate covered pretzels!! I wanted to go with the holiday pretzels instead of just regular ones and that proved to be a pain in some situations. Those little trees are hard to get covered! I have a ton of almond bark and pretzels that still need to be done... but at least I had them finished for the presents. I just wanted to eat some myself too!

All in all I'd say it was a successful Christmas present... it was alot of work and very time consuming! I hope everyone enjoys the presents... and realizes how much time and effort I put into them too. I know its not quite like a big screen tv... but it is the thought that counts right?!

1 comment:

  1. Your gifts turned out amazing! The bags are too cute, and I love the magnet idea! Hope your Christmas was great.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)