Wednesday, December 2, 2009

10 things every grandmother should have

Now I don't want all you grandmothers to get mad at me... I know I said "should" have, but really these are just convenient for your children when they bring the little ones over! And of course this is for new grandmothers..... if your grandkids are older these won't really work out.

1. Pack-n-Play: this is so important to have! While they are usually pretty portable and your child could bring them over every time they bring the grandchild over.... It is sooo nice to have one at grandma's already.

2. Sippy cups: Sometimes us mothers are in a hurry and forget things... its nice to know grandma already has a cup there for your child to use just in case she forgot one! This one could be converted to bottle as well depending on the stage of your grandchild.

3. Toys: While most of the time diaper bags will have toys stuffed in them, grandkids get bored easily. Please have some toys there ready to be played with! Even if they're not actual toys (spatulas, wooden spoons, tupperware, monkey statues... whatever works).

4. Snacks: Once again us mothers can be a little flaky on packing if we're in a hurry. We don't want the little ones to starve! Please have some age-appropriate snacks on hand.

5. Baby wipes: I know you might be thinking really?! on this one... but yes they are vitally important. Sometimes our wipes stash in the diaper bag is depleted w/o us realizing. You can get those resealable to-go wipes that would probably work best so they don't dry out in the meantime.

6. High Chair: While this can be a bit on the pricey side... its so much easier to feed grandkids when they're strapped down. Depending on how often you see your grandchild this really is a must! You don't even have to buy a brand new one! You can find some of these items at consignment stores that work just as well.

7. Boo-Boo buddy: If your child/grandchild is anything like mine he is very clumsy. He's still falling into things and bumping his little head. Have a boo-boo bear or buddy in the freezer or fridge for those ouches! My son gets distracted feeling the coolness that he usually forgets he was even hurt in the first place.

8. Pictures of you and the grandkids: My son loves looking at pictures of himself and other family members. It lets them know how much you care! And of course us kids like to see that you're proud of your little grandkids too! He'll spend hours pointing at each person, and it helps him learn names too.

9. Baby monitor: This one isn't necessarily a must... but it is nice if you have a larger house, or if you're planning on being in a room where its hard to hear them when they wake. I have mine on at the house all the time!

10. Patience: If you're with my son you'll need it at times! This one is kind of a no-brainer... but most grandma's are more patient than the mother's themselves!!!

Thanks to all you grandma's out there. I know I have wonderful ones, and I appreciate the grandma's of my lil guy. I always know he's in good hands with them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)