Sunday, November 1, 2009

For Women Only

So I was looking for a book to read... and decided I'd try this one b/c it was on a book club list... While I was reading it I thought it had a lot of insight and all that... but then after talking to my husband (to check and see how accurate some of the things this book said) it seemed like it was a load of crap. Now technically the book was backed by statistical evidence and all these blind surveys of soo many men and so on.....

I'm sure the book really does have some truth to it. I know it did in certain areas. It just seemed like my man was the exception to every rule in it!? Which honestly, I thank God for. I guess it makes perfect sense.... I mean my husband is NOT "most men". Which is a GREAT thing. I mean I didn't wait around for most men... I waited for the perfect one!

I read this a while back.. and well with pregnancy brain its a little hard to focus and remember exactly what the book said.... but I do remember a few things. I won't tell you if my husband is just like what the book said... or the exact oppisite.... I'll keep those things to myself... but its interesting anyway!

1. Looking good for your man.
Apparently this was a subject most men could not seem to talk to their significant others about..... Basically a lot of men out there get frustrated and down when their woman doesn't try to impress... Grant it they say they don't expect their wife and mother of 3 to look like they did when they met in high school (that's just not possible.....) but they want them to make an effort. Now I do agree with this to an extent. Honestly... after I gained 50+ pounds with my first pregnancy I did try to lose the weight... Not at first! I mean I had a newborn to deal with... but eventually I came around, did my workouts, and looked as good as I could.

In this book the author's husband talked about how he was disappointed every time he saw the same chocolate donuts sitting on the counter every morning. He "knew nothing was going to change as long as he saw those donuts". Seriously? The woman can't eat a freaking donut?! She had just given birth to your son! She deserves a donut... maybe 3! Now I guess I don't know for sure how long the donut eating had gone on... or how old the son was (the book didn't specify). But for her husband to think like that?! It just makes me glad I can't read men's thoughts.....

The other thing was making an effort not to dress like a slob. Ok ya know what... I'm a stay at home mom... Meaning most days I don't even leave the house. Yea I'll do my best to shower...(I do almost every day!) and most of the time I put a little make up on... but do you expect me to dress to the hilt?! I don't think so... I'll stick to my comfy clothes thank you very much. What happened to the "its what's on the inside that counts."?

2. Respect your husband
I'm sure most christian married couples have heard of the Love and Respect series, and it does make a lot of sense. This book made some specific remarks about respect though. Most women never try to deliberately disrespect their spouses, but still manage to. One main statement mentioned disrespect in public, and how even a little teasing really isn't playful but VERY disrespectful. If your wife can't respect you in front of others how are they going to respect you....... just some food for thought!

3. Men are Visual
Yea yea yea... we all know men are visual... We can see the wandering eyes daily. Oh but apparently they're hard wired this way.... they can't help it... don't be mad at them for using their God-given gift! You should embrace the "gifts" God gives them and basically give them a free pass. After all they just can't help themselves...... This seems like a load of crap. Like when people use excuses like "oh I'm sorry... I just can't help it... its how I am!" Pretty much like I'm not going to even attempt to work at changing... so deal with it. I guess all in all as long as its just a wandering eye... and not going farther than that what's the harm... but still!

4. Men have a distinct drive to provide
If you're like most moms....... you probably have the instinct to worry a lil bit... just about your children in general... if they're developing correctly, if you're a good enough mother... if they get hurt you hurt as well... I'm not sure why but it seems like that's the norm. Well apparently most men have this worry... but as it pertains to providing for their families. They are at a constant alert wondering if they are doing a good enough job at supporting the family. Now I can imagine in a single-income home this burden can be even greater.... but apparently men living with two incomes still have this burden.

While this does seem to ring in some truth... it seems like I still know some free-loaders out there too....

OK apparently that's all this brain can remember right now..... in general I did enjoy reading the book... it was fairly short and did have some interesting points....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)