Friday, August 21, 2009

Being Green



I am all about being green for our planet. I do my best to recycle, reduce, and reuse! I'm not sure what got me so gung-ho about it... maybe since becoming a mom and seeing how many diapers/outfits my son goes through a day. And of course how many outfits and burp rags I went through for the first six months of his life b/c he was a spitter! Man that boy could spit up... Its a wonder he gained any weight at all.

Anyway... back to being green. I have been wanting to use gdiapers from the start with my son. I heard about them through one of my many sign-ups online when I first found out I was pregnant. They are such a great idea!


The following information was taken from the gDiapers website!

gDiapers stand for green diapers. They consist of a washable, cotton outer little gPant and a plastic-free biodegradable diaper gRefill. They are made of breathable material just like sports clothing. So, babies stay dry and are less likely to get diaper rash.

You can flush, compost, or toss the gRefill insert. They are plastic-free, so you can toss or flush them. You can even compost the wet ones if you'd like They break down in 50-150 days vs. the regular disposable diapers {Huggies, Pampers, Luvs} that can take up to 500 years to break down.


Like I said... I wanted to use these things from the start... but I had to convince the husband... well actually apparently a guy he works with had to convince him cloth was the way to go! Right now I'm using cloth inserts inside the little gPants instead of the throw away gRefills. Today is the first day I've used them, and so far its going pretty well I think! Its a little messier then using regular disposable... but I'm hoping in the long run I'll be saving the planet little by little :)

visit gdiapers.com for more information. :)

Recycling

I can't believe there are still cities out there that do not provide recycling bins and recycling options for you. It is just insane to me! I recycle anything and everything that I can. From paper, plastic, cardboard, old food containers, and more. We have a recycling center in our town that is very convenient. We can't put our glass containers on the curb for pickup like other recyclables... but I (or my husband) can go the extra mile and take them. If everyone would just be more open to being green, it would really make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I stay with my children day in and day out. It's a 24/7 job. They are my life... along with my husband and kitty-cat! We have a simple life, and owe it all to God! I'm just trying to stay sane and keep my typing skills up to par.... hope you enjoy my rants :)